Gifts that Make an Impact Now
The Academy is often a recipient of gifts of assets more complex than cash. However, like a gift of cash, these gifts confer immediate benefit to the Academy. Gifts include, but are not limited to:
- Publicly traded securities: Stocks, bonds, and mutual funds. If owned for more than one year and appreciated in value, a gift allows you to avoid capital gain taxation while receiving an immediate charitable income tax deduction.
- Real estate: A personal residence, farm, vacation home, or commercial or rental property, offering an immediate charitable deduction and the chance to avoid capital gain tax. There are also ways to donate residential property while retaining the right to live in it for life. Ask the Academy for details.
- Closely held securities or business interests: Gifts that can have significant benefits to the donors and the Academy. Special rules apply; ask the Academy for details.
- Personal property: A prized collection related to the purpose of the Academy, allowing you to deduct its fair market value.
- Retirement funds: You can make a current gift of up to $100,000 per year from your IRA assets. Your gift is free from tax, fulfills your minimum distribution requirement, and provides immediate financial support for the Academy. This immediate gift option is only available for IRAs.
- Gifts of Collections, specimens or other objects: The Academy is often, depending on space, pleased to add gifts of objects to our collections. Items of value will make you eligible for an immediate tax deduction.
- Lead Trusts: You create a trust that pays income to the Academy for a term of years, and then passes to your heirs. You reduce gift and estate tax on assets transferred to your heirs and retain the assets in your family.
To learn more about supporting the Academy, please contact Jay Auslander at 415.379.5202 or email@example.com.